I think it's safe to say we are all in agreement that it's been absolutely bitter cold out. Friday and Saturday with those minus ten degree temps? Insanity. This is the type of cold that makes me want to curl up inside on a rug or with my humans and take a nap. Not weather that makes me want to go outside. Brrr!
I'm one of the lucky ones who can make this choice—I choose to stay inside. But for some sharks living on the shores of Cape Cod, they were not so lucky. You see, the challenge with being an outdoor animal is, well, you have to live outdoors. That means no fireplaces, no rugs, no cozy homes to warm up in. Now, imagine having to endure this horrific cold while UNDERWATER? Brutal. I know.
Last week for instance, three adult male sharks were found dead, apparently, victims of something called cold shock, a condition that is a result of extreme dips in temperature which can result in muscle spasms or cardiac arrest. It appears that these poor sharks (never thought I'd find myself saying that sentence!) suffered from cold shock and then ended up on shore. They most likely suffocated due to their gils having frozen, rendering them unable to get oxygen into their bodies.
Tragic, I know.
And while I recognize that this doesn't really impact any of you pet owners who are keeping your pets warm and cozy by your side, as the temperatures continue to stay as low as they have been, be sure to protect your pets from the cold. And as silly as those dog jackets look, use them—even with fur, pooches can definitely feel the cold in these temperatures!
Til' next time,