If you live locally, you’ve probably heard about the terrible fate of one of the apartment buildings one block over from this very office. Three weeks ago, on a chilly Saturday night, an electrical fire started in the basement and burned through an entire row of apartments. Clothing, pictures, food, precious belongings, all gone in a fiery inferno. Luckily, no one was harmed, but the loss of memories is irreplaceable. One family in particular, very dear friends of the Silvermans who live in the building mentioned above, happened to be exceptionally lucky. It being a Saturday night, they were out for the evening and upon returning, they were faced by the whirling lights of numerous fire trucks. Their thoughts immediately turned to their beloved poodle, Max, who as far as they knew was still in their apartment. As panic shot through them, they frantically looked around for help only to see one of their neighbors walking towards them, Max in hand.
Apparently, when the fire began and everyone started to evacuate the building, Max could be heard crying from inside the apartment. A neighbor who had keys to their apartment rescued Max and tended to him until his mom and dad returned.
I just love hearing stories about people helping people—and pets. And if this isn’t evidence of the strength and love within the Park Slope community, both two legged and four, I don’t know what is.
Til’ next time,