Hope everyone is having a great memorial day! I am. And thanks to Dr. S. and the PPAC staff, so did this little one year old kitty who recently came into the PPAC.
Last week, a one year old cat with a low grade fever, dehydration, and reports of having spent most of the last few days hiding in a corner and vomiting showed up at the office. Upon examination, his belly felt sore to the touch so Dr. S. asked the kittys mom if it had possibly eaten something it shouldnt have. Well, it turned out, this girls mom is a seamstress which means the likelihood of there being lots of string lying around their house is high. So the clear guess was that poor kitty ingested a string that was now causing a blockage.
The way to test for a blockage is to run barium through the kitty to see how quickly it moves through the cats system. Barium administered, it was time to sit back and wait. The waiting came to an end when the kitty puked up the barium and an X-ray was taken (which would show how far along the barium had moved in the cats intestine). The X-ray showed that it hadnt moved very far at all confirming that there was in fact a blockage.
In the doc went, looking at the cats intestine which revealed—not surprisingly—thread! The doc then made multiple holes in the cats intestines to remove the thread, stitched the intestines right back up and now, the kitty is on the mend.
Bottom line is, we animals arent always good at saying no to putting things into our mouths whether they be food—or inedible items. So you need to do everything you can to keep these tempting treats away from us and out of harms way. String (and floss for that matter) can wreak havoc on a cats insides, getting wrapped around intestines and cutting into vital organs. So its really really important to keep these items in places we cant reach them.
Til next time,