Pet Skin Problems at Prospect Park Animal Clinic in Brooklyn NY
Since 1950, the team at Prospect Park Animal Clinic has been providing high quality vet care to pets in Brooklyn NY and the surrounding communities. It's our honor to provide a range of effective and affordable services and techniques that can help your pet's health thrive. One of the most common issues we see among our pet patients includes skin problems. Understanding the cause of skin problems in your pet helps us provide your animal with lasting relief.
Common Signs of Pet Skin Problems
Pets "tell" us they are uncomfortable by showing us. Skin problems can cause a variety of uncomfortable issues for cats, dogs, and other animals. Common signs to look out for in your pet include:
- Frequent itching, biting, scratching, licking, or pawing
- Frequent shaking of the head and body
- Patchy hair loss
- Dry flaky skin
- Areas of skin that appears red, discolored, raised, bumpy, or otherwise irritated
- Foul odor or drainage from the skin
- The appearance of fleas, flea eggs, or other parasites
What's Causing My Pet's Skin Problems?
It's not always obvious what's causing a pet skin problem. Our Brooklyn veterinarian team works with you to help figure out the source of your pet's discomfort so both of you can rest easier!
Here are a few of the most common causes of a pet skin problem:
- Food allergy (chicken which is the
most common protein basis for most dog foods)
- Environmental allergy, e.g., pollen, chemicals, etc.
- Hot spots caused by trapped moisture in thick coats
- Parasite infestations (e.g., allergic reaction to fleas or ticks)
- Bacterial, fungal, or yeast infections
- Other underlying health conditions, such as Cushing's disease and cancer
Certain breeds of cats and dogs, as well as older or chronically ill animals, can be more prone to skin issues.
How a Veterinarian in Brooklyn Can Heal Pet Skin Problems
Whenever someone comes to us with concerns about their pet's skin, we'll use blood tests, skin samples, and other diagnostic techniques to identify what's causing or contributing to the problem. We'll also implement appropriate treatment interventions to soothe and heal your pet's skin as effectively as possible.
Depending on your pet's needs, we may recommend:
- Dietary changes (e.g., omega-3 supplements or the removal of common food allergens including dairy, corn, wheat, and soy)
- Topical or oral medications (steroidal, antifungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial)
- Medicated shampoos and ointments
- Environmental changes (removal of allergens from the home, tidying up the yard to remove pests, etc.)
- Preventive medications that protect against fleas, ticks, and other parasites
Is Your Pet Dealing with a Skin Issue?
Call Prospect Park Animal Clinic at (718) 768-6125 to schedule an appointment for your pet today!